Brian Fargo
Official GDC/CC 2.0 Generic.

Blockchain

Robot Cache: New & Free Steam In The Gaming Race

Ofer Sharon
17 December, 2018
2 min read
SHARE
ftlnln

Robot Cache, a new blockchain-based video game marketplace, aims to compete with Steam, offering a more attractive deal for gamers and developers.

Why it Matters

If Robot Cache's strategy works, it could take up a significant portion of the market share held by Steam, the current leading gaming platform. Hundreds of millions of gamers could migrate to use a blockchain-based tokenized video game marketplace.

The Bottom Line

Gamers could pay for new games with mined tokens and reselling finished games. For game developers, Robot Cache offers a better deal than Steam.

Play for Free?

For gamers, Robot Cache offers features Steam does not have. First, when done with a purchased game, players can sell the finished game to others. Secondly, the platform allows users to mine the Robot Cache native 'IRON' token. Users can use the tokens raised from reselling and mining to purchase more games. So theoretically, a user could keep playing and purchasing new games "for free," using IRON tokens instead of real money.

Better Cut of the Profits

For game developers, Robot Cache promises a 95 percent cut of the profits. That's as opposed to Steam, which takes 30 percent of the profits, leaving devs only 70 percent. 

 

Brian Fargo, the man behind Robot Cache, is a veteran game developer himself who created games like Wasteland, Bard's Tale, and Fallout. Starting back in the 1980s when he was only 19 years old, Fargo probably knows a thing or two about the challenges of making a profit in the gaming industry.

Blockchain for the Win

So how can Robot Cache afford only 5 percent of the profits, compared to Steam's 30 percent? 

 

By using blockchain rather than centralized servers, with users mining to verify transactions. This reduces operating costs, allowing Robot Cache to offer a greater percentage to game developers and publishers.

 

Blockchain's inherent encryption and decryption mechanism guarantees to developers that only a unique copy of a game can be held. A seller could not hold and play a game after selling it.

 

The IRON token, although being mined on a blockchain, is not considered a cryptocurrency. It cannot be converted or traded on exchanges. This way, the Robot Cache team can avoid the hard fist of the SEC.

 

Robot Cache still hasn't published an official public launch date. But for now, the platform is available exclusively in a limited early access. Robot Cache already signed 22 game publishers offering about 700 games.

Gamers can sign up for early access on Robot Cache's website.

Blockchain Gaming BLOCKTV innovation Gamers Brian Fargo Robot Cache Steam Developers Tokenization